Glassboro Geography Walking Tour

Franklin House

More recently known as the Franklin House, the structure was located on the northeast corner of Main Street and West Street. (Approximate map Coordinates: 39.706737, -75.110807) The front of this building faced south, toward what is currently West…

E. L. Lacy Automobile, Bicycle Repair

Constructed in 1810 as the Olive Glassworks Company Store (Later the E. L. Lacy Automobile, Bicycle Repair), this building played an important role in Glassboro's early economic and community growth. Olive Glassworks, which was owned by Peter Wickoff…

Colonel Thomas Heston Homestead

Tree obstructed view of the allegedly haunted Heston homestead. Also the W.R. Sturgess residence at 127 State Street in Glassboro Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our community…

State Street

This is a postcard showing a scene of State Street in Glassboro, New Jersey. The camera is facing south. The photograph was captured while standing infront of 153 State Street, which is currently the oldest structure in Glassboro. On the left the Dr.…

S. H. Stanger General Store and Fountain

This is a photograph of the former Temperance Hotel building, which is located on the corner of New Street and State Street. The approximate map coordinates are 39.705014, -75.109216. In the late 1800s, the structure was used as the S. H. Stanger…

First United Methodist Church Bible School

This photograph was taken at the Methodist Church House and features a group photograph of the First United Methodist Church Bible School on July 14, 1966. The building was located at the point where New Street, Academy Street, and State Street meet.…

State Street, Looking South

This is a photo of State Street, and is the intersction of Academy, State and New Street. The camera is facing south. On the left is the S. H. Stanger General Store, which is currently the Methodist Church's, Methodist Fellowship House. This…

Methodist Episcopal Church (First United Methodist Church)

Johnson Beckett donated a piece of land on Broad Street and on this lot the first Methodist Episcopal Church was created. In 1833, a society was formed with around 40 members, and they were the first members of this church. The original building was…

First United Methodist Church Choir

Captured in 1949 this photograph shows the 1st United Methodist Church Choir group. The photograph shows the interior of the original church building. The organ pipes were located behind the curtains on the rear wall left and right of the altar. When…

The First Methodist Church Announcement Sign

On June 25th, 1967, a sermon was preached during the second day of Glassboro's summit meetings between Lyndon B. Johnson and Alexi Kosygin by Reverend Robert B. Howe. Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible…

The Auditorium

The Auditorium was located on Academy Street, directly across from the Academy Street School near these coordinates: 39.704083, -75.109690. The structure was built by Charles P. Abbott and his brother-in-law John Long in 1910 and presented on…

Interior of the Auditorium

This is a photograph of the interior of the Auditorium during a chicken and farming expo. The Auditorium was built in 1900 and at the time was considered a large modern facility. The building attracted large tradeshows and was a popular stop for…

Fire at the Auditorium

The Auditorium was located on Academy street, directly across from the Academy Street School. It was built in 1910, and presented on September 1st. It was located on Academy street, directly across from the Academy Street School. It was built by…

Academy Street Public School

This a 1906 image of the Academy Street School. The photograph shows the fence and the gazebo that once existed on the property. This structure has endured three catastrophic fires. The structure is now part of the Rowan University campus and is…

Academy Street School Fire, 1917

The Academy Street School has been consumed by fire twice. The first time was because it was a wooden building. The second time it burned down was in 1893, and it was a stone building. On February 21, 1917 the Academy Street School burned down. All…

Acme Group

A photo of Acme employees in front of the store Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our community volunteers. Please contact us to contribute information or to help with the…

Whitney Glass Works

The Whitney Glass Works company was formerly known as the Harmony Glassworks. Thomas H. Whitney worked as an apprentice in Harmony Glass Works and in 1835 he gained full control in ownership and management of what is now known as Whitney Glass Works.…

Glassboro Title and Trust Company

Located on the corner of High Street and Center Street, this building was built in 1925 for the Glassboro Title and Trust Co., a bank and saving and loan. Due to the effects of the Great Depression, the bank closed. It was then used for offices by…

UHL Bros. Groceries and Meats Truck

George and Andy Uhl started their business in 1919. The truck is from the 1920s. Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our community volunteers. Please contact us to contribute…

High Street Glassboro, NJ

This post card depicts a busy day on High Street in Glassboro. The postcard was not sent, but the name Weisner's is inscribed on the back. Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our…

Early Photograph of High Street

This photograph, likely dated between 1896 to the early 1900s, shows the intersection of High Street and Main Street in the distance. The road in the middle of the photograph is High Street, and the camera is facing west. The approximate location of…

Whitney Building (Junior Mechanics Building)

Known as both the Whitney Building and the Junior Mechanics Building, this three-story structure was located on the corner of High and Main Street, at 1 High Street W, Glassboro, NJ. It was located at the approximate map coordinates 39.703007,…

Interior of Whitney General Store

This is a photograph of the interior of the second Whitney Store, which occupied a storefront within the Whitney Building (later known as the Junior Mechanic's Building). The building was located on the corner of High and Main Street at the following…

Corner of High Street and Main Street (Facing East)

This is an image of the intersection of High Street and Main Street. The Uhl Brother's store was located at the approximate location of the third power pole from the left. Additional information: High Street Help support the project: The Glassboro…

Glassboro Fire Department

Additional Glassboro Firehouse Images:Glassboro Fire House (History)Glassboro Fire Company ParadeGlassboro Fire House Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our community volunteers.…