This photograph is an aerial view of Bunce Hall at the New Jersey State Teachers College at Glassboro, now Rowan University. The photo shows the school's baseball field (left) and railroad tracks (bottom left), both of which still exist in the same location. The forested area behind Bunce Hall is the current location of Bozorth Hall and Hawthorn Hall. The area at the top of the photo shows open fields and young peach orchards at what is now the current location of Route 322 and Rowan University's Science Hall, Savits Hall, the Campbell Library, and the Chamberlain Student Center.
The State Teachers College was originally called the Glassboro Normal School, until its name change in 1937. During the 1950s, the New Jersey State Teachers College at Glassboro added several buildings and enrollment was increased. The name was again changed in 1958, this time to Glassboro State College.
Help support the project:
The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our community volunteers. Please contact us to contribute information or to help with the project.