This is a photograph of the interior of the Auditorium during a chicken and farming expo. The Auditorium was built in 1900 and at the time was considered a large modern facility. The building attracted large tradeshows and was a popular stop for politicians seeking to campaign in Glassboro. Three US Presidents - William Taft, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson – visited the Auditorium and gave campaign speeches to large audiences.
The back of the photograph states the image is of a poultry exhibit that took place inside the Auditorium on December 9, 10, and 11 of 1915. The building was billed as a fireproof structure; however, in 1917 a massive fire consumed the building. The structure was located on State Street across from the Academy School at the approximate map coordinates 39.704072, -75.109935.
Help support the project:
The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our community volunteers. Please contact us to contribute information or to help with the project.