Founder's Walk

The Glassboro public digital archive was established in Spring 2018 through community-campus collaboration. Through these efforts, the founding project contributors are integral to shaping the multiplicity and dynamism of public memory in this place: past, present, and future. Comprised of 20 sites selected by the founding student contributors in the Spring 2018 Rowan University honors cultural geography course, this walk serves as a reminder that we all shape—and are shaped by—this place.

West Jersey Train Depot

This is a photo of the West Jersey Train Depot, which was built in 1863. The main passenger station still exists is located at 354 Oakwood Avenue, Glassboro New Jersey 08028. The map coordinates are 39.704524, -75.121168. The structure is currently…

1995 Rowan Fund Postcard

This is a postcard sent to Mrs. Marilyn Plasket advertising for the Rowan Annual Fund for Rowan College, asking for support from alumni and friends. It reads: "These are just a few of the faces you would see today at Rowan College. Even though the…

Bunce Hall, Glassboro State College

These photographs show Bunce Hall at Rowan University throughout the years. Bunce Hall was the first building at the Glassboro Normal School, which educated teachers. The Glassboro Normal School later became Glassboro State College, and then Rowan…

Savitz Library Glassboro State College

Images of Savitz Library of Glassboro State College. Savitz Library was opened in 1963 and is currently known as Savitz Hall and is home to many offices at Rowan University. Savitz Library was named after Dr. Jerohn Savitz, the university's first…

The Whitney Mansion (Early)

This is an early photograph of the Whitney home, also known as Hollybush. The photograph was taken facing north-west in the approximate location of New Street. For more information:The History of Hollybush Mansion Additional Hollybush Mansion…

Glassboro State College, Mullica Hall

This is a photograph of Mullica Hall at Glassboro State College. Mullica Hall was constructed in 1963 and functions as a student dormitory. Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made possible through the kindness of our…

Third Methodist Episcopal Parsonage

This is a photograph of the former Methodist Episcopal Parsonage in Glassboro, NJ. The building is located at 68 North Main Street at the following coordinates (39.704881, -75.111187) The parsonage was built in 1901 at a total cost of $3,700. It…

Corner of High Street and Main Street (Facing East)

This is an image of the intersection of High Street and Main Street. The Uhl Brother's store was located at the approximate location of the third power pole from the left. Help support the project: The Glassboro Memory Mapping Project is made…

Abbottmaid Drugs Candy and Soda on Main and High Street

This postcard depicts a scene of Abbottmaid Drug Candy and Soda Store within the Junior Mechanics building on Main and High Street - approximate coordinates: 39.702879, -75.112065. On the back of the postcard Liz writes to Frank asking general…

Glassboro High School (History)

Featured here are photos of the third Glassboro High School building. This structure is located at 500 Joseph L. Bowe Blvd at the following coordinates: 39.715534, -75.122627. The history of Glasboro's high school starts with the first high school…

Glass Bowl Bowling Lanes

This is photograph features the Glass Bowl bowling lanes. It was located at 503 Delsea Drive and North Main Street of Glassboro, NJ. The Glass Bowl bowling lanes hosted many bowling competitions. The Glass Bowl bowling lanes later became the…
We would like to thank the Glassboro Historical Society for sharing their private collections and knowledge of this place, the Batnivoglio Honors Program for cultivating a learning environment to think, share, thrive, and the Digital Scholarship Center, especially Mike Benson, for a transformative learning experience.